Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pheasant Fest

Yes it is probably time for an update. This last weekend we had a couple of friends from Springfield come up to hunt pheasants, which, by the way, are not the same as peasants. They treated Jim and I to a guided hunt on private property. A fun day was had by all. As you can see by the picture Jim got his first bird. He also got his second. I did not get any as I was acting as blocker. The blocker stands at the end of the field that the other hunters are walking through in hopes that that the blocker will frighten birds that are running on the ground to fly up toward the walking hunters. You don't get quite as many shooting opportunities when blocking. I made up for it in volume of shooting, I was the fastest with a follow-up shot, and another, and another, well you get the point. We still have another month or so in which we can hunt. I sure do hope that my family decides that they like pheasant.

4 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

Sounds like fun to me. I got to hunt pheasant on the other end of SD in the early 60s. I learned that the bird has to be a distance away from you when shooting a 12 ga. shotgun or there is not a lot of bird left.
DAD

Lillian Wilkinson said...

too true, too true

Della Hill said...

Hmm...
Sounds like fun, but I feel inclined to review that while shooting a gun can certainly be fun, even if you are the first to get your repeat shots off, -over and over- it profiteth you nothing if you bring home no bird.
Congrats to Jim.
-Della

Mike Hugo said...

Looks like fun. Great photo!
Niki