Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Smelly

O.K., so last week when I was sick, I asked Mikey to put a rice bag in the microwave for me for one minute. (on our microwave this means you put it in and push start). A
little while later I started to smell something burning. As I walked into the kitchen, the microwave beeped. Since I was not feeling well, I have no idea how long it was in the microwave, but the fabric had burn spots, and we had to throw it away.
The problem:
Now whenever we use the microwave we get the same nasty burnt smell.
The Fix?
Does anyone have an idea for getting rid of this smell, buying a new microwave is way not in the budget.
Lillie

3 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

Start by washing everything inside that is removable with vinegar. Mom

Della Hill said...

Ha ha!
I was going to joke that you should clean it with vinegar, but I guess that's not so much of a joke.
We had a similiar issue with a bag of microwave popcorn last year, (have you ever seen something actually catch on fire in the microwave? I stand to testify that it can happen), we also just cleaned what we could and kept using it.
The smell eventually wore off. It was really strong at first, but went away after a couple months.
Good luck.
-Della

Karen said...

Try the juice of a lemon in a cup of water and heat until it boils. I usually leave it until the water is about half gone, then wipe the moisture out and voila! It is bleached and smells good too.

Another trick is boiling vanilla with water.